So I totally forgot to add this to my last post about Green Christmas Ideas! And it is SUCH A GREAT THING TO DO!!! DONATE in the recipients name!
There are SOOOO MANY amazing organizations that need help at this time of year. But if you are drawing a blank… here are some ideas:
- Bring a food donation to your local food bank.
- Drop some cash in a red kettle (Salvation Army).
- Spread some joy by donating presents to a childrens organization near you.
- Sponsor a needy family in your area.
- Donate to your local Big Brothers/Sisters, or any other communtity outreach that is close to your heart.
- Donate to a local church.
There are many awesome organizations that make it so you can help worldwide this time of year. Here are some things that are available through Compassion Canada (I sponsor a child through them! She is in Uganda):
- A MOSQUITO NET! ($13) Mosquitoes carry malaria, which kills nearly one million people every year. This gift helps to give children and their families a mosquito-free sleep with an insecticide-treated bed net and prevention education.
Helping kids in: Burkina Faso and India.
- A CHICKEN! ($16) A chicken isn’t just food—it’s an opportunity. Offering a source of income, manure for a vegetable garden and a supply of eggs, this gift helps put food on a family’s table and money in their pockets as they receive support and education to help them raise and care for their new chicken.
Helping kids in: Burkina Faso, India, Rwanda and Uganda.
- A PIG! ($75) Owning a pig makes a big difference in the life of a rural family. They’re easy to feed, and their droppings are a great source of manure for farming. This gift provides support and education for families so they can earn an income through breeding and caring for pigs. Helping kids in: Rwanda
- MENTOR A YOUNG MAN! ($200) Healthy families are essential to a healthy society. And when they are torn apart by divorce and abandonment everyone suffers, especially children who need to know what biblical manhood looks like. This gift helps a young man develop the solid spiritual foundation of true manhood he’ll need to take up his role in society as a husband and father.
Helping students in: Kenya
- WATER! ($1500) Every 20 seconds, a child dies from a water-related disease. But these deaths can be prevented by providing them with clean water. This gift helps give hundreds of children access to clean water through purification systems, rainwater tanks and other water-harvesting systems.
Helping kids in: India
There are soooo many more ideas! They even give cool tips on how to give it as a gift! For example: If you buy a chicken – you can print off the e-card and pair up some egg cups, a whisk and some napkins with your card to put together a creative breakfast basket.
Here are some links to other organizations that have these programs:
Please NOTE! Whenever you are dealing with donations and especially your payment information – ensure you are dealing with a reputable organzation. Unfortunatly there are sooo many people that try to take advantage around this time of year. Not cool!
“‘And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace and goodwill towards men.'”
“…And that’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.”