I am really liking this challenge! Last night my daughter and I baked a super yummy “breakfast cake” that I found on pinterest – again off my “Yummy…” board.
My husband was heading out with a bunch of people for a day trip – so I thought that it would be nice to send them off with a yummy treat! Here is a link to the original recipe – I will post the recipe (with our changes) that we made here:
Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake
½ cup butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups frozen raspberries
½ cup Vanilla soy milk
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the berries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the milk. Add Berries.
4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
It was soooo YUMMY!!!